Showcase San Luis Obispo county
at your Thanksgiving table!
The traditional Thanksgiving menu is rooted in local, seasonal foods, so it’s easy to eat local for Thanksgiving! Don’t feel obligated to fill your table with more recent traditions (Jell-O salad or green bean casserole made with canned soup ring a bell?!).
Give your Thanksgiving favorites new life with fresh, locally raised foods that you and the kiddos will love!
Here are some recipes and ideas to help you incorporate fresh, local foods into your Thanksgiving menu:
- Pick-up or order a locally raised turkey or chicken at Farmer’s Market, Babe’s Birds, BeeWench Farms, or another local farm. Check out Central Coast Grown if you’re interested in a local meat/dairy resource.
- Kale & Brussels Sprouts Salad – pick-up local lemons, kale, and Brussels sprouts at Farmer’s Market to use in this tasty recipe.
- Roasted Root Vegetables – use butternut squash, potatoes, onions, garlic, and carrots from your favorite Farmer’s Market.
- Green Bean Casserole From Scratch – grab local green beans and mushrooms to use in this healthier version of everyone’s favorite Thanksgiving casserole.
- Pumpkin & Sage Biscuits – use fresh pumpkin puree from your local pumpkin patch (Jack Creek Farms is our favorite!) to make these dinner roll alternatives.
- Cinnamon Apple Galette with Salted Maple Glaze – head out to Gopher Glen Apple Farm for some local, organic apples to use in the recipe!
- Pick up local ingredients at Farmer’s Market for your other favorites like pumpkin pie, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, and more!
When and where is the closest
upcoming Farmer’s Market?
I’m glad you asked!
San Luis Obispo:
Higuera St between Chorro and Osos
AND Saturdays, 8-10:45am, 325 Madonna
Saturdays, 9am-1pm, Paso Robles City Park
Saturdays, 9am-12:30pm, Templeton Park
Saturdays, 12-2:30pm, 214 East Branch
And our blog post on SLO County Farmer’s Markets has a full list.
Grab the kiddos and head to Farmer’s Market tonight or this weekend! Teach them the importance of supporting local agriculture!
Happy Thanksgiving Shopping!