Music Together is an early childhood music development program developed for children from birth to kindergarten that, 30 years ago, pioneered research-based and developmentally appropriate early music curriculum that emphasizes and facilitates adult involvement.
Janna Matteoli is the teacher and director at Little Bird Music Together, which offers several weekly classes at the Templeton Community Center. To finish up summer, there will be three four-week mini sessions starting the week of July 18. Each class has a maximum of 12 children and a minimum of six children is required.
The four-week mini sessions will be held on:
- Tuesday at 4 p.m. from July 18 to Aug. 8 (only 1 spot left!)
- Thursdays at 5 p.m. from July 20 to Aug. 10
- Saturdays at 10 a.m. from July 22 to Aug. 12
Little Bird Music Together offers three 10-week semesters each year during the school year. Each semester features a different Music Together song collection with all different songs to get to know and love.
Music Together is now offered worldwide in more than 40 different countries and in numerous communities around the United States. Classes are mixed-aged and focus on music immersion in a non-formal, non-perfomance-oriented and fun environment that supports the development of tonal and rhythm competence.
Each class is 45 minutes in which the grown-ups are led through singing songs accompanied by small and large movement exercises, free movement, and rhythm instrument play.
“It is so heartwarming, fun and brings me so much joy to make music with a group of young children and their parents, grandparents and caregivers multiple times a week knowing that we are providing a rich musical environment that is nurturing these little ones’ musical development and fostering a life-long love of music,” Janna Matteoli said.
Each family that registers will receive (this will be modified for the 4-week mini sessions):
- 10 Weekly 45-minute classes for family music-making in a social setting, plus one make-up class
- A Parent Guide booklet and DVD: “Music Together at Home: Helping Your Child Grow Musically”
- A professionally-recorded CD, digital download and songbook of the class activities: songs, rhythm chants and “play-along” music, and tonal and rhythm patterns. (A total of 9 rotating song collections that may be re-visited as the family grows up!)
- Access to special “Family Music Zone” area of the international Music Together website where you will be able to download songs to your mobile devices, access extra activities for home, learn more about your child’s music development from our experts, including program coauthors Ken Guilmartin and Lili Levinowitz, and watch fun videos
- Quarterly family newsletter and informative international website
“I can’t say enough good things about Miss Janna and the Little Bird Music Together program. My son has now attended two sessions, and can’t wait to ‘go play music with Miss Janna,'” Carolyn McGaughey said. “Her encouraging and knowledgeable teaching style makes every child and parent in the class feel like a musician, even for those of us who didn’t realize we could carry a tune or follow the beat of a song.”
To contact Little Bird Music Together or to signup, go to its website.